You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Armed Forces (Serving / Veteran)

If you are a serving member of the armed forces or a veteran, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you and your family.

Skip to content:



To check what benefits you might be entitled to quickly and easily, you can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator

To read more about the benefits available for people who are serving members of the armed forces or a veteran select from the list below:

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005.

Armed Forces Independence Payment - alternative to receiving Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA). 

War Pension Scheme - if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces before 6 April 2005 and are no longer serving in the Armed Forces.

You may also be eligible for help with housing costs.


To find out what help may be available from grant giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search

Turn2us Grants Search

There are a number of military charities that provide support, each with their own set of eligibility requirements. Help may be available to you from one of these charities if you:

  • Are still serving

  • Are a veteran

  • Serve or served as a regular or reserve, because of the Second World War or National Service

  • Had a long or short period of service

  • Are the partner, spouse, widow, widower or dependent child of someone who served

Armed Forces Charities listed on our Grants Search might include:

  • UK-wide and national Armed Forces charities, such as the Royal British Legion, SSAFA (the Soldiers, Sailors, Air Force Association), The Officers’ Association and Poppyscotland

  • Charities helping people who have served in particular branches of the Armed Forces, for example: ABF The Soldiers’ Charity; The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund; and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity

  • Regimental associations/charities, for example: The Royal Engineers Association, Royal Artillery Charity, The Royal Signals Benevolent Fund

  • Charities concerned with specific aspects of service, such as: The Burma Star Association, AJEX Charitable Foundation (formerly known as The Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen & Women)

  • Charities that help people from the Armed Forces community who have a particular medical condition: for example: Blind Veterans UK, British Limbless Ex-Service Men's Association, Combat Stress

  • Charities that help the children of Armed Forces serving personnel/veterans, including the Armed Forces Education Trust.

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with, you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool

Find an Adviser

Further information resources

Last Reviewed: June 2019

Older couple on park bench

Changes to Pension Credit Rules

For couples a rule change means you could lose out if you don’t claim before 15 May

Read about the Pension Credit rule changes

Margaret's story

Margaret found she could get help from the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.

Read more about Margaret