Child Benefit and Tax Credit if your child is 16


Parents who claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit have until 31 August to let HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) know if their 16 year old is going into approved full-time education or training to make sure they continue to receive payments.

You can claim for teenagers aged between 16 and 19 years if they are in approved full-time education or training, which includes GCSEs, A/AS levels, national diplomas and NVQs up to level 3, as well as Study Programmes and Traineeships (England only) and approved training. However, advanced level education, such as a child studying for a degree at university or a BTEC Higher National Certificate, would not qualify. Further information about approved education or training and eligibility can be found on the Child Benefit when your child turn2us 16 pages of the Gov.UK website

HMRC recommend you to notify them online via your Personal Tax Account, where you can update both the Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit information in one simple journey. You can also let them know by:

Calling 0300 200 3100, or

Sending a letter to:

  • Child Tax Credits: Tax Credits Office, Preston, PR1 4AT and/or

  • Child Benefit: Child Benefit Office, PO Box 1, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE88 1AA

It is also important to inform HMRC if your child is leaving approved education or training, as otherwise you may build up an overpayment which you will have to repay. 

Turn2us help

Our free Benefits Calculator can help you check your welfare benefit entitlements and tax credits. Even if you have checked before, it is worth checking again, especially if there has been a change in your circumstances.

You can also use our Grants Search to find out if you are eligible for a charitable grant, or other support. If you are worried about any issues and would like further advice, you can use our Find an Adviser tool to locate face-to-face advice in your local area.