New non-state pension rules start


Get advice before you decide what to do with your non-state pension pot

The Government has launched a new impartial Pension Wise service to help people understand their options around non-state pensions. They are working in partnership on this with Citizens Advice (England and Wales), Citizens Advice Scotland, Northern Ireland Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux and the Pensions Advisory Service.

You can get guidance on your pension options from the Pension Wise website. If you prefer to speak to someone, you can talk to an impartial guidance specialist on the phone or face to face. They’ll talk about the steps you can take to turn your pension pot into income for your retirement. You can book this appointment on the Pension Wise website.

Access the Pension Wise website

Money Advice Service has information on options for using your pension pot

Pension 'flexibilities' and Department for Work and Pensions benefits

There are rules around how your pension, and any money you take from it, will be treated in the calculation of your entitlement to the following income-related benefits:

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit.

For more information, read the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Pension flexibilities and DWP benefits fact sheet

Date of publication: 10 April 2015