Thomas Cook employee?


Turn2us was very sorry to hear of the collapse of travel firm Thomas Cook.

If you are a Thomas Cook employee worried about the future, you can use Turn2us resources to find out if any help may be available to you through benefits and charitable grants.

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

We encourage everyone in financial need to check what benefits help might be available using our Benefits Calculator.

It’s free, confidential and shows you quickly what benefits you are entitled to as well as how to make a claim.

Turn2us Grants Search

You can use the Turn2us Grants Search to find possible charitable funds to help, based on your clients’ background, circumstances and needs.

Charitable funds listed on our Grants Search that relate specifically to the travel industry include ABTA Lifeline and British AIrline Pilots' Association (BALPA). We also list fund attached to trade unions including Unite.

Read ABTA Lifeline's guest blog on the help they can give Thomas Cook employees

Turn2us direct grants

Turn2us also gives direct grants help through a range of funds administered directly by the charity. For more information, see Turn2us Funds.


Our website has a ‘Your situation information section’ which discusses benefits, grants and support services in relation to common situations where people might find themselves in financial need.

The sections that may be of particular interest to Thomas Cooke employees facing redundancy and job searching are the following:

Looking for work - which includes information on Jobseeker's Allowance and Universal Credit.

In work and on a low income - including tax credits. If you are already claiming these, you may be able to carry on claiming them if you are made redundant.

We also have a Redundancy guide which explains what you can do if you are facing redundancy and which benefits you may be able to claim.

If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage, see our Help with Housing Costs section

Finding expert advice

You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find local advisers who may be able to advise you further on your particular situation.

Government information

The Insolvency Service has information about Thomas Cook: information for customers, employees, creditors and shareholders. This is for people who live in England, Scotland and Wales and includes information on claiming redundancy and other payments.

If you live in Northern Ireland, see the NI Direct information on Insolvency Payments

Employment advice

If you want to check how much redundancy pay you should be getting or need employment advice, contact your union or Acas.

Continued entitlement to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and parental benefits connected to employment

Turn2us has been asked whether Thomas Cook employees who were receiving the following benefits that are connected to employment are still entitled to them now that they have lost their jobs:

If you were getting these payments, you should contact the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Statutory Payments Dispute Line on: 03000 560630.