Asylum Seekers - Further information and advice

There are special rules about benefits for asylum seekers.

Last reviewed 14 June 2023

Further information and advice

The rules on asylum support for asylum seekers and benefit entitlements for those granted leave to remain in the UK are complex. Unfortunately many claimants are incorrectly refused and need to challenge these refusals. If you need help to apply for asylum support or, once you have been granted leave, benefits, or if your asylum support or benefit claim has been refused you should get independent advice.

You may be able to get help from an organisation that specialises in advising asylum seekers and refugees or they may refer you to a local organisation that can help. 

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations.  

Organisations providing advice and information for asylum seekers and refugees

Asylum Support Appeals Project - this organisation provides asylum-seekers with free legal representation and advice in their asylum support appeals. 

British Red Cross - a humanitarian charity helping refugees and asylum seekers.

Asylum Aid - a charity providing legal representation to vulnerable people seeking asylum in the UK.

Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit - an organisation providing advice, support and representation to people subject to immigration control.

Migrant Legal Help - a charity supporting asylum seekers, refugees and victims of human trafficking and modern slavery.

Rights of Women - a women's charity providing women legal advice and information.

Refugee Action - a charity providing advice and support to refugees and asylum seekers in the UK and campaigning for a fairer asylum system. 

The Refugee Council - a charity providing advice to refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK. 

Scottish Refugee Council - a charity providing advice and services to asylum seekers and refugees in Scotland. 

Welsh Refugee Council - a charity supporting asylum seekers and refugees in Wales.

If you need immigration advice ensure that you get the advice from someone who is either registered with OISC to give such advice or exempt from such registration.  You can check the OISC website, which list all advisers and advice organisations that are either OISC-registered or exempt from requiring such registration.  


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.