Attendance Allowance - How do I claim Attendance Allowance?

Attendance Allowance is money for people of pension age who have care needs because of physical or mental disability

Last reviewed 19 September 2023

How do I claim Attendance Allowance?

England, Scotland or Wales

Phone the Attendance Allowance helpline for a claim form:
Telephone: 0800 731 0122
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 6.00 pm

You can also use the RELAY service to claim using British Sign Language (BSL).

You can also download an Attendance Allowance claim form on the Gov.UK website. If you do this, your claim will not start until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) receives your form.

Northern Ireland

You can download a claim form from the NI Direct website

The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in and where to send it.

After your claim form is received, you may have to have a face-to-face assessment.

What documents will I need to claim Attendance Allowance?

You should give your . If you do not have a , send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity, such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

When will my Attendance Allowance claim begin?

A claim for Attendance Allowance cannot be backdated. The date of your claim will be the date you call and ask for a claim form as long as you complete and return it within the time given. If you download a claim form, it will be the date your completed claim form is received.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser