Attendance Allowance - Can I get Attendance Allowance?

Attendance Allowance is money for people of pension age who have care needs because of physical or mental disability

Last reviewed 19 September 2023

Can I get Attendance Allowance?

To get Attendance Allowance, you must usually have had care needs for at least six months.

You must not be living in a council-funded care home or in hospital.

You must be living in the UK when you make a claim for Attendance Allowance and the UK must be where you normally live. Also you must usually have lived in the UK for 104 of the past 156 weeks (two years out of the past three).

There are special rules for some people who are living in, or have returned from, a European Economic Area country. The rules can be complicated, so if this applies to you, we recommend that you read our guide on Migrants or seek advice from a benefits expert. You can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool to find a local one.

Rules for people who have a terminal illness

If your doctors say that you are and reasonably expected to die within twelve months, there are special rules to help you get the highest rate of Attendance Allowance straight away. You do not have to have had care needs for six months before you claim. You also do not have to meet the past presence test.

You will need to ask your doctor/healthcare professional for a form called SR1 and fill in the special rules section of the Attendance Allowance claim form.

Another person, such as your partner, relative or friend, can apply for Attendance Allowance on your behalf without your knowledge under the special rules. However, even if someone else makes the claim for you, the money will be paid to you.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an adviser