Benefit Cap - What Government help is available?

The Benefit Cap is a limit to the total amount in some benefits that working-age people can get.

Last reviewed 30 November 2023

What Government help is available?

Government help

The provides help with moving from benefits to work.

Your Jobcentre Plus advisor can tell you about different schemes like the Work Programme, Work Clubs and Work Trials to help you apply for jobs and get work experience.  

You can find out more about schemes for moving from benefits to work on the "Help with moving from benefits to work" page of the Gov.UK website

If you have a disability or mental health problem which makes it difficult for you to attend interviews or keep a job, you may qualify for assistance from the Access to Work programme. The Access to Work scheme can provide support at work and may also pay for changes or equipment in the workplace.  You can find out more about it on the "Access to Work" page of the Gov.UK website.

There are different schemes for helping with childcare which you can read about on our Help with Childcare Costs page.

Other help

Make sure you have read the section in this guide What are my options if I am affected by the Benefit Cap?

If you are worried that you will be evicted because the Benefit Cap means you cannot afford your rent, you can ask your local council for help. Most councils run a Housing Support Service, sometimes called “Floating Support”. They can provide a support worker to help you take steps to avoid eviction.

You can always use our Find an Adviser tool to search for an advisor near you, for help sorting out your benefits or taking other steps to increase your income.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser