Carer Support Payment (Scotland) - Can I get Carer Support Payment?

Carer Support Payment is money for people in Scotland who provide regular care to someone who has a disability.

Last reviewed 08 April 2024

Can I get Carer Support Payment?

You can get Carer's Allowance if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week. 

The person you care for must be getting a benefit because of their disability, for example: 

You do not need to be living with the person you are caring for. 

If you are in paid work, you might still be able to get Carer Support Payment, but you must not earn more than £151 in take home pay each week. However, certain expenses can be deducted from this. 

It does not matter if you have savings as these will not be taken into account. 

You do not have to have paid any national insurance contributions to get Carer Support Payment. 

You do not qualify for Carer Support Payment if:

  • you are aged 16 to 19 and study a course for 21 hours or more a week at secondary school or college; or
  • someone else is already claiming Carer Support Payment for looking after the same person. 

Before you make a claim for Carer Support Payment, you should check with the person you are caring for, as it may affect some of the benefits they receive if you are successful. For example, losing a Severe Disability Premium from their: 

Income Support 
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) 
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
Pension Credit 
Housing Benefit (England, Wales, Scotland)


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.