Challenging a Council Tax Support decision - Have the decision looked at again

Find out more about Challenging a Council Tax Support decision.

Have the decision looked at again

If you think a Council Tax Support decision is wrong, you should ask the local authority to look at the decision again.


Send a letter or an email to your local authority using the contact details on your Council Tax bill and ask them to look at the decision again.

Make sure you include the following details in your letter or email:

  • Your name and contact address

  • Your council tax reference number from your council tax bill

  • An explanation of the reasons why you think the decision is wrong. Include any information, such as relevant dates, to support your reasons

  • Any evidence that supports your reasons, such as copies of a letter from your doctor, a bank statement or a wage slip 

  • Your signature. 

If you are sending a letter, you should try to send the letter to the local authority by 'recorded delivery' to make sure there is proof of when it was sent and also keep a copy of the letter.

A different decision maker will look at the decision originally made and the information you have provided and will decide whether the decision should be changed.

If they ask you for more information or evidence, you should provide this as soon as possible and let them know if there will be a delay.  

Time limits

In England and Wales, you have one month from the date on the original decision letter to ask for the decision to be looked at again. In Scotland you have two months.

If you missed the deadline for reasons out of your control, such as illness or bereavement, you may still be able to have your decision looked at again. If this is the case, when you write to the local authority, you should explain why your request is late.

Possible outcomes

You should receive a written response within two months.

If the local authority decide that the decision is wrong, it will be changed and you will get a new decision letter.

If they decide that they can’t change the decision, they will write to you to confirm this and tell you if you have a right to appeal against this decision.

If you still think the decision is wrong

You may be able to appeal against the decision, find out more on the next page.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.