European Union (EU) Settled Status Scheme - I have arrived in the UK with leave to enter as a holder of an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit

The EU Settled Status scheme is the scheme to protect EEA citizens' rights in the UK now the UK has left the European Union.

Last reviewed 14 June 2023

You cannot currently claim any benefit that requires you to have a right to reside (for example Universal Credit, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Child Benefit), because the leave you have does not satisfy this requirement.   

Once you make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status, you can access benefits under the rules for people who have made an application and are waiting for a decision.

You can access other benefits that do not require a right to reside, provided you satisfy the conditions for those benefits, including the presence and residence tests. 

While you have your leave to enter, you are not defined as a ‘person subject to immigration control’ and so you are not excluded from any benefits for that reason.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.