Funeral Payment - How do I challenge a Funeral Payment decision?

If you need help to pay for a funeral, you may be eligible for help through a Funeral Payment.

How do I challenge a Funeral Payment decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your Funeral Payment claim, you can ask for a written statement of reasons. If you still believe the decision is wrong, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again. This is called a .

The time limits are strict. You will usually be given one month to dispute a decision so it is important to seek advice and act quickly. If you have missed this deadline, you can still ask for the decision to be looked at again. However, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) might refuse.

If you don’t agree with the decision after it has been looked at again, you can ask an independent tribunal to look at the decision. You should use Form SSCS1  to do this. You cannot usually ask a tribunal to look at a decision until you have gone through the process.



Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.