Guardian's Allowance - How do I claim Guardian's Allowance?

If you look after a child who is not your own you may be entitled to Guardian's Allowance.

How do I claim Guardian's Allowance?

Phone for a claim form:
Telephone: 0300 200 3101
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Welsh language: 0300 200 1900

Download a claim form from the GOV.UK website

If you have not already claimed Child Benefit, you should claim this at the same time as Guardian’s Allowance.

What documents will I need to claim Guardian’s Allowance?

You must give evidence of your child, for example, a birth or adoption certificate, and a death certificate if a parent has died. You should also give your . If you do not have a , send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

When will my Guardian’s Allowance claim begin?

Guardian’s Allowance can be backdated for up to three months if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.


Reviewed: October 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.