Hardship Payments - Challenging a hardship payment decision

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

Challenging a hardship payment decision

If you are refused hardship payments, you can appeal against the decision. You must however first apply for the decision to be looked at again which is referred to as a ‘

For further information on challenging a Department for Work and Pensions decision, see our Challenging Decisions and Complaints guide.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.