Hardship Payments - How do I claim Universal Credit hardship payments

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

How do I claim Universal Credit hardship payments

To make a claim, get in touch with the Universal Credit contact centre.

Universal Credit helpline (Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 6.00 pm, closed bank holidays)
Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Welsh language line: 0800 328 1744 

In Northern Ireland: 

 Telephone: 0800 012 1331

Textphone: 0800 012 1441

An appointment will normally be arranged at the Jobcentre office for you to provide the information and evidence required to support your application.

Reviewed: Oct 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.