Help from the local council if you are ill, injured or have a disability - How do I claim?

If you have an illness or a disability, you may need help to continue living at home. These services can be provided by your local council.

How do I claim?

The first step is to have your needs assessed by these services through a Health and Social Care Assessment (also sometimes called a 'community care assessment' or an 'assessment of need'). You can find Getting a needs assessment information on NHS website

Once you have been assessed, depending on your care needs, they will draw up a care plan outlining what help you should have and how this can be given. Services may be provided by , voluntary organisations and/or private companies.

Contact your local council for more information.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.