Social services

Each local council has a social services department which is responsible for assessing the needs of and providing social care services to vulnerable people in the area they cover who are children, older, sick, have disabilities or are caring for someone. 

In Scotland, they are called social work departments and in Northern Ireland, they are called health and social care trusts.

You can contact your local council to find out more about your local social services department