Hospital and benefits - Statutory Sick Pay and Working Tax Credit

When you or someone in your family go into or come out of hospital, the benefits you get may change.

Last reviewed 23 October 2023

Statutory Sick Pay and Working Tax Credit

If you were working when you became ill, you might be getting Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

SSP will be paid for the first 28 weeks that you are not able to work. If you were self-employed, you might be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). You may also continue to get Working Tax Credit in addition to SSP or ESA for the first 28 weeks if your income and savings are low. It is no longer possible to make new claims for Working Tax Credit.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser