Income Support - Can I get Income Support?

Income Support helps people who do not have enough to live on. It is only available for certain groups of people.

Last reviewed 12 December 2023

Can I get Income Support?

Income Support or Universal Credit?

Income Support is being replaced by Universal Credit. 

If you or your partner are receiving a ' ' such as Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefit, you will lose these if you make a claim for Universal Credit. 

The government began moving people from onto Universal Credit in May 2022 and aims to finish moving everyone throughout 2024/2025. If you've received a notice letter telling you to claim Universal Credit, read our guide Universal Credit Migration Notice to find out about your next steps. 

Can I get Income Support?

You can still get Income Support if you are on Income Support at present and continue to meet the qualifying conditions, unless you claim Universal Credit.

The qualifying conditions are:

You and your partner (if you have one) must not be in full-time employment (this is 16 or more hours per week for you and 24 or more hours for your partner). You must also fall into at least one of the following categories:

If you are not able to work due to illness or disability and are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you will have to claim New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit instead of Income Support.

If you have savings or capital over £16,000, you will not be able to get Income Support.

You can find out whether you can still get Income Support by using our Benefits Calculator or by seeking advice. You can find an advice agency in your area by using our Find-an-Adviser tool


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.