Universal Credit Migration Notice - Migration Notices

If you have received a Universal Credit Migration Notice letter, reading this guide will help in understanding your next steps.

Last reviewed 09 October 2023

Migration Notices

People getting legacy benefits are having their claims transferred to Universal Credit. This is called managed migration.

Legacy benefits are Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit for working age people, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) and Income Support.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have started to send out notices to people getting tax credits, either just tax credits, or tax credits with other benefits to move onto Universal Credit. Over the next few years, everyone on Income Support, income-related ESA, income-based JSA, and Housing Benefit will be receiving this notice. People who get ESA and don't get any other benefits will probably be the last to be moved over.

Look out for a letter called a ‘Universal Credit Migration Notice’ from the DWP. Tax Credit claimants will receive this letter from the DWP with a HMRC logo or from the Department for Communities if they live in Northern Ireland. This notice letter is important as it will tell you that your existing benefits are stopping, and you need to make a claim for Universal Credit. It will also tell you what you need to do and by when.

You might get a leaflet telling you to get ready for Universal Credit – if the letter you get doesn't have a deadline on it, it isn't your migration notice. Wait until you get a proper migration notice.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.