Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - How do I claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is for people who are not in full time work, and can and want to work.

How do I claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)?

It is no longer possible to make new claims for income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. 

New Style Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

In England, Scotland or Wales

Claim online by going to the Jobseeker's Allowance page on the Gov.UK website, go down the page and click on "Make a claim for 'new style' JSA"

Or phone Jobcentre Plus to make a claim:

  • Telephone: 0800 055 6688

  • Textphone: 0800 023 4888

  • Welsh language Line: 0800 012 1888

In Northern Ireland

Contact your local Social Security/Jobs and Benefits Office for a claim form

What documents will I need to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance?

You must give your and evidence of who you are, for example, a driving licence or birth certificate. You need to give details of the bank account you want your benefit paid into. If you are receiving or entitled to receive a pension, you need to give details of that pension.

When will my Jobseeker’s Allowance claim begin?

There is a 7-day period between claiming and being able to get Jobseeker’s Allowance. These are called waiting days. Exceptions apply.

A claim for Jobseeker's Allowance can be backdated for up to three months before the date of the claim if you would have been entitled to it earlier. You have to have an acceptable reason for claiming late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.

Reviewed: December 2021


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser