Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - How do I challenge a Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) decision?

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is for people who are not in full time work, and can and want to work.

Last reviewed 28 March 2024

How do I challenge a Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your benefit claim, you can ask for a written statement of reasons. If you still believe the decision is wrong, for example due to incorrect information being used, you can ask for it to be looked at again.  This is called a .  If you don't agree with the decision, you can make an appeal to the Tribunal Service which is independent of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). See our Challenging Department for Work and Pensions Decisions guide for further information.

The time limits are strict. You will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on Challenges and complaints

Reviewed: December 2021


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser