National insurance contributions (NIC) - Frequently Asked Questions

National insurance is a tax on your earnings. This guide covers some basic information about NIC.

Last reviewed 06 April 2024

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have more than one job?

Unless you are a director of a company, each employment you have is looked at separately and each has the weekly £242 lower limit primary threshold.

If, in the 2024/25  you have two jobs, you may be able to defer paying Class 1 national insurance contributions. You can find out more about the conditions for this on the Gov.UK website

You do this on form CA72A 'Application for deferment of payment of class 1 NICs' on the Gov.UK website. If you need them, there are also CA72A form guidance notes.  

What happens if I am employed and self-employed?

If you are both employed and self-employed, you need to pay both Class 1 NIC on your employed income and Class 2/4 NIC on your self-employed income. Class 2 is now paid at the same time as Class 4 when you file your self-assessment tax return. How much you pay depends on your combined income from all your jobs.  HMRC will let you know how much Class 2 and Class 4 is due after you've filed your self-assessment tax return. If you pay the maximum amount of annual NIC by way of Class 1/Class 2, you may not need to pay any more.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.