Part time students and benefits - Can part-time students get help with housing costs?

Find out more about the definition of a part-time student for benefit purposes and whether you can claim any benefits or tax credits

Last reviewed 18 September 2023

Can part-time students get help with housing costs?

Housing Benefit

If you are already getting Housing Benefit you might be able to carry on getting it if you start studying part time.

If you are under 66 and receive student support, in the form of a grant or loan, this will usually reduce the amount of Housing Benefit you can get; unless you also get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance in which case you will automatically receive your maximum entitlement to Housing Benefit.

It is no longer possible to make new claims for Housing Benefit unless you are over 66 or live in temporary or supported accommodation.

If you don't already have a claim for Housing Benefit and you want help with your rent, you will need to claim Universal Credit.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.