Working Tax Credit - How do I challenge a Working Tax Credit decision?

Working Tax Credit is money to help working people who are on a low income.

How do I challenge a Working Tax Credit decision?

If you believe the decision about the amount of your tax credit award is wrong, for example because some of the information HMRC used was wrong, you can usually ask for it to be looked at again. This is known as a ' '. If you still disagree with the further decision, you can then appeal to an independent tribunal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given 30 days to challenge a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on challenges and complaints

Reviewed: June 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations.

Search for grants

Find an adviser

Search for advice and support services near you.

Find an Adviser