You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Support in cold weather

  • 28/02/2018
  • Author:bridgetmccall

This article is over a year old

Find out who to contact if you need help during cold weather

Older lady with hot water bottle

We hope that all Turn2us users will keep safe and warm during this period of adverse weather.

You can always our online services, including our Benefits Calculator and Grants Search, on the Turn2us website.

If you need help during this period of cold weather, the following organisations and resources may be useful to you.

Local council

Your local council will be able to advise you further on local sources of emergency help that are open including foodbanks. Some services may not be available, but there should be someone on duty to give you information about the services that are available in your area and how to access them

The Turn2us Emergency Assistance guide provides information on what may be available generally in an emergency in terms of benefits, foodbanks and other sources of help.  

Utility companies - electricity, gas and water

For all enquiries about your power and water supply, contact your energy company.

Energy companies

Ofgem has a list of energy company contacts for England, Scotland and Wales

See the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland for gas and electricity suppliers in Northern Ireland

Water companies

Ofwat has a list of water company contacts in England and Wales

See the Scottish Water website for more information in Scotland

See the Northern Ireland Water website for more information in Northern Ireland

See the Turn2us Help with Housing Costs information section

Housing and homelessness

Your local council will be able to advise you further on help for anyone who is homeless and what help is available in terms of emergency shelters.

The following organisations can advise further on housing and homelessness issues:



Salvation Army 


Shelter England

Shelter Wales (Cymru) 

Shelter Scotland

Check the website for the country you live in to check when the Shelter helpline will be open over Christmas.

Northern Ireland

Housing Rights NI

Simon Communities NI

Concerned about a homeless person?

In England and Wales, you can contact Streetlink. The details you provide are sent to the local authority or outreach service for the area in which you have seen the person, to help them find the individual and connect them to support.

The local council or Shelter Scotland can advise in Scotland or read the Daily Record article: What to do if you see a homeless person sleeping rough in Scotland.

In Northern Ireland, the local council, Housing Executive NI or Simon Communities NI can advise further.


Read the NHS guide to keeping warm, keeping well in cold weather

Read the Age UK cold weather alerts page


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page