You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Council Tax Support decision - What are my options?

Find out more about Challenging a Council Tax Support decision.

What are my options?

If you think a Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax reduction) decision is wrong you may be able to:

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Have the decision looked at again
  • Appeal against the decision

This guide takes you through these options.

Applies to: England, Scotland and Wales.

Advice: If you need advice about a benefits or tax credits decision, you should contact a benefits adviser. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local one

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grant Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants