You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision - What are my options?

Find out more about Challenging a Personal Independence Payment decision.

What are my options?

If you think a Personal Independence Payment decision is wrong, either because you have been refused it or have not been awarded the rate or component you expected, you may be able to:

  • Ask for an explanation

  • Have the decision looked at again

  • Appeal against the decision

This guide takes you through these options.

Applies to: England, Scotland and Wales.

When you challenge a Personal Independence Payment decision remember that any award you currently receive can be increased, remain the same, decrease or be stopped altogether.

You don’t have to ask for an explanation of the decision; you can ask to have the decision looked at again straight away.

You must ask the Department for Work and Pensions to look at the decision again before you can appeal.

If you need advice about a benefits or tax credits decision, you should contact a benefits adviser. You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local one.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool