You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Universal Credit decision - What are my options?

If you think a Universal Credit decision is wrong, you may be able to ask for an explanation, have the decision looked at again or appeal against the decision

What are my options?

If you think a Universal Credit decision is wrong, you may be able to:

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Have the decision looked at again
  • Appeal against the decision.

This section takes you through these options.

You don’t have to ask for an explanation of the decision; you can ask to have the decision looked at again straight away.

You must ask the Department for Work and Pensions to look at the decision again before you can appeal.

Applies to: England, Scotland and Wales.

Advice: If you need advice about a benefits or tax credits decision, you should contact a benefits adviser. You can use our Turn2us Find an Adviser tool to find a local one.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool