You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Guardian's Allowance - Can I get Guardian's Allowance?

Find out more about Guardian's Allowance.

Can I get Guardian's Allowance?

You can claim Guardian's Allowance if you look after a child who is not your own (biologically or by adoption), and their parents have either both died or one has died and the other is unable to look after them, for example, because they are missing or are in prison.

You can only get Guardian's Allowance if you also get Child Benefit for the child.

One of the child's parents must also have been born in the UK (or was living in the UK since the age of 16 for at least 52 weeks in any 2-year period)

If you, or your partner, have an individual annual income of over £50,000 you will have to pay an income tax charge if you get Child Benefit but it may be best to continue getting Child Benefit so that you can still get Guardian's Allowance. See our Child Benefit page for more information.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Search for a grant

Look for funds that might be able to give you a grant and/or other types of help.

Use the Grants Search tool