You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Prisoners on remand - Help with housing costs - On remand

Entitlement to most benefits ceases or is suspended while you are on remand. Most benefits are paid in arrears, so you may be owed some benefits payments. You should inform the office that pays your benefit of your change of circumstances and request the arrears be paid to you or sent to someone who is managing your money.

Help with housing costs - On remand

While you are on remand or in a bail hostel, you can remain entitled to:

This is as long as your absence from home is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and you intend to return home.

Contact your local council for information on what you need to do.

If you were getting Universal Credit to help with your housing costs before being held on remand, you can continue to get it for up to six months.

If you are a homeowner you can continue to receive Support for mortgage interest if you are claiming Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, or were claiming Universal Support before going to prison but this will also only be paid for up to 52 weeks.

If your home is unoccupied while you are in prison, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption as long as you are not in prison for non-payment of a fine or Council Tax.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser