You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Young People and Benefits - Ill or disabled young people

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Ill or disabled young people

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit

It is no longer possible to make new claims for Employment and Support Allowance.

Ill and disabled young people may be able to claim Universal Credit.

You will need to have a fit note saying that you can’t work. You will also have to have an assessment to decide if you have limited capability for work. 

You cannot usually get Universal Credit while you are studying unless you have limited capability for work and receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Adult Disability Payment ScotlandChild Disability Payment Scotland or Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

From your 16th birthday, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for yourself (instead of a parent/guardian claiming for you) if you have care and/or mobility needs. It can be paid on top of any other benefits you receive.

If you live in Scotland and are already getting Child Disability Payment before you are 16, from 16 you can start receiving the payment in your own name. If you live in Scotland and are not already getting Child Disability Payment, you can claim Personal Independence Payment.

Reviewed: May 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser