Young People and Benefits - Young people with housing costs

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Last reviewed 20 July 2023

Young people with housing costs


You may be able to get help to pay your rent through Universal Credit.

You must be paying rent under a commercial agreement. You cannot get Housing Benefit or the housing Element of Universal Credit if you live with your landlord and they are a close relative, e.g. your parents.

Universal Credit and Housing Benefit are s so whether you qualify will depend on your income and circumstances. You can still claim even if you are working full time.

If you are renting from a private landlord you will probably find that your Housing Benefit or the housing element of your Universal Credit is restricted to the cost of living in accommodation with shared facilities.

Remember that if you are a care leaver, you may not qualify for  Housing Benefit or Universal Credit at all, even if you would otherwise meet all entitlement rules.

Council Tax

If you are on a low income and liable to pay Council Tax, you may be able to claim help with your Council Tax through Council Tax Support. However, if you are aged under 18 you will not be liable for Council Tax.

If you are a full-time student in , you may not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless you fall within a certain category – see our Studying (aged 16+) section. There are no rules preventing you from claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you are in or if you are under 21 and studying on a course below degree level which you started before you were 19.

Reviewed: April 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.