Young People and Benefits - Ill or disabled young people

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Last reviewed 09 May 2022

Ill or disabled young people

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit

It is no longer possible to make new claims for Employment and Support Allowance.

Ill and disabled young people may be able to claim Universal Credit.

You will need to have a fit note saying that you can’t work. You will also have to have an assessment to decide if you have limited capability for work. 

You cannot usually get Universal Credit while you are studying unless you have limited capability for work and receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Adult Disability Payment ScotlandChild Disability Payment Scotland or Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

From your 16th birthday, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for yourself (instead of a parent/guardian claiming for you) if you have care and/or mobility needs. It can be paid on top of any other benefits you receive.

If you live in Scotland and are already getting Child Disability Payment before you are 16, from 16 you can start receiving the payment in your own name. If you live in Scotland and are not already getting Child Disability Payment, you can claim Personal Independence Payment.

Reviewed: May 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.