You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Young People and Benefits - Young people in work

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Young people in work

If you are a young person and working, you might be able to claim Universal Credit if:

  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has decided you have limited capability for work, and you are earning less than £658.67 per month, or the DWP has decided you have limited capability for work and you receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Child Disability Payment ScotlandAdult Disability Payment Scotland or Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • You are earning less than £658.67 per month (or are earning any amount and get PIP, Child Disability Payment, Adult Disability Payment or DLA) and have a sick note saying you are not fit for work.
  • You are receiving Carer's Allowance or you would be entitled to Carer’s Allowance but your earnings are too high, or
  • You or your partner are responsible for a child
  • You are an orphan and have no one acting for you in place of your parents
  • You have left local authority care and live away from your parents or any person acting in their place (but see the special rules for care leavers)
  • You have to live away from your parents and any person acting in their place and either:
    • you are estranged from them or would be in danger if you lived with them
    • they cannot support you because they are in prison or unable to come to the UK
    • they are sick or have disabilities.

Updated: May 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser