You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Young People and Benefits - Young people with a child

If you are aged under 18, there may be extra rules to meet to get benefits

Young people with a child

You should qualify for Child Benefit as there is no minimum age limit to claim this. 

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you are aged at least 16 and are responsible for a child. You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you are at least 29 weeks pregnant (but not if you are a care leaver). You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you had a baby or your baby was stillborn in the past 15 weeks (but not if you are a care leaver).

If you live with your family, it would be a good idea to speak to an adviser before making any claims for benefits for your child.

There are a range of other benefits and assistance available for people with children which you may qualify for depending on your circumstances – see our Expecting a Child section and our Bringing up a Child section for more information.

Reviewed: April 2022


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser