Tax deadline: October 5


You may need to register for a Self-Assessment tax return before October 5th if that is how you are going to pay tax this year.

Self-Assessment tax returns are the system HMRC uses to collect Income Tax from people who don’t pay tax automatically from their wages.

People who did not send a tax return last year and need to this year must register by the deadline.

This may specifically affect all the young ‘gig economy’ workers who have never paid tax before.

Who must send a tax return?

You will need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:

  • Your income from self-employment was more than £1,000
  • You got more than £2,500 from renting out property
  • You got more than £2,500 in other untaxed income
  • You had a P800 from HMRC saying you did not pay enough tax last year
  • You need to prove you’re self-employed, for example to claim Tax-Free Childcare
  • You want to make voluntary Class 2 National Insurance payments to help you qualify for benefits
  • Find out what other additional factors may mean you need to register for tax returns.


There are different ways to register if you’re self-employed or a sole trader, not self-employed, or registering a partner or partnership.

Find out how to register for and file your Self-Assessment tax return.

Sending your return

Once you have registered for Self-Assessment tax returns, you can send the completed form to HMRC.

If you are sending in a paper tax return, you must do this by midnight on 31 October 2018.

If you are sending in an online tax return, you must do this by midnight on 31 January 2019.


You must pay the tax you owe by midnight on 31 January 2019 for the previous year.