Cold Weather Payment - Can I get a Cold Weather Payment?
A Cold Weather Payment is money to help with fuel costs when the weather is very cold
- Last reviewed 21 February 2023
Can I get a Cold Weather Payment?
You cannot get a Cold Weather Payment if you live in Scotland. You might be able to get Winter Heating Assistance instead.
You might qualify for a Cold Weather Payment if you are claiming Pension Credit and do not live in a care home.
You may also be able to get a Cold Weather Payment if you do not live in a care home and are claiming Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Universal Credit as long as one of these statements also applies to you:
- You get an extra amount in your benefit (a premium) for having a disability or for being over state pension age
- You have a child under five (if you get Universal Credit, you must not be working)
- You have a disabled child and you get Child Tax Credit with an extra amount for their disability
- You aren't working and your Universal Credit includes an element for having
- Limited Capability for Work Related Activity, or
- Limited Capability for Work, or
- a disabled child