Council Tax Discounts - Single Person Discount

Single Person Discount

If you are the only adult who lives in your home, you can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill. You will need to tell your council that you are the only adult living in your home and apply for the discount.

Your income and savings won’t affect this discount.

Some people can get a single person discount even if other adults live in their home. This applies if the other adults aren’t counted for Council Tax because they are students or because they are ‘severely mentally impaired’

If you are claiming Child Benefit for someone who is over 18 and in education, they will not count as an adult for Council Tax. 

Reviewed: June 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.