Council Tax Discounts - Carers
- Last reviewed 01 June 2022
If you are a carer and you live in the same property as the person you care for, you might be able to get a discount on Council Tax.
You will need to provide more than 35 hours per week of care.
The person you care for needs to be getting one of these benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or high rate, or
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at any rate, or
- Adult disability Payment daily living component at the highest rate, or
- Child Disability Payment care component at the highest rate, or
- Attendance Allowance at any rate, or
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
The person you care for can’t be your husband, wife, civil partner or child under 18.
It doesn’t matter whether or not you’re getting Carer’s Allowance.
Your income and savings will not affect whether you can get this discount.
If you think this applies to you, speak to your local authority to ask how to apply for the discount.
Updated: June 2022