Council Tax Discounts - Carers

Last reviewed 01 June 2022


If you are a carer and you live in the same property as the person you care for, you might be able to get a discount on Council Tax.

You will need to provide more than 35 hours per week of care.

The person you care for needs to be getting one of these benefits:

The person you care for can’t be your husband, wife, civil partner or child under 18.

It doesn’t matter whether or not you’re getting Carer’s Allowance.

Your income and savings will not affect whether you can get this discount.

If you think this applies to you, speak to your local authority to ask how to apply for the discount.

Updated: June 2022


  • Carers
Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.