Council Tax Support/ Reduction - Council Tax Support England

Council Tax Support provides help for people on low incomes with their Council Tax bill. The schemes are different in different parts of Great Britain.

Council Tax Support England

In England each local authority has their own Council Tax support scheme so there may be different support available in different parts of the country.

Local authorities must make sure that people who have reached pension age get the same level of entitlement under the new scheme as they did under Council Tax Benefit rules so they are protected from any reductions.

Local authorities will not be able to change their Council Tax support scheme during a Council Tax billing year. However, they will be able to make changes to their scheme for the start of each new billing year if they wish.

To find out what Council Tax Support scheme exists in your area you should contact your local authority. You can use the GOV.UK local council finder to find your local authority’s contact details.

You can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator to find out how much Council Tax Support you may be entitled to.

Challenging Decisions

If you are not happy with your Council Tax Support decision you can ask your local authority to review it. If you are not happy with the outcome of the review, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England.

Further information on Challenges and complaints


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.