Hardship Payments - How do I claim Jobseeker's Allowance Hardship Payments?

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

How do I claim Jobseeker's Allowance Hardship Payments?

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus office for a Jobseeker's Allowance Hardship Payment application form and explain your grounds for applying for a Hardship Payment in the form.

When you apply for a Hardship Payment, make sure you explain anything that is causing you hardship or makes it more likely that you will experience hardship. This includes health, disability, pregnancy and any special needs you, your partner and children have.

When deciding whether you would experience hardship, the decision maker must consider such matters as:

  • If you, your partner or child included in your claim qualify for a disability premium.
  • Whether there is a ‘substantial risk’ that you or your partner, or a child included in your claim would be without essential items for example: food, clothes, heating or accommodation.

The decision makers must also take into account any resources likely to be available to you. This includes income and capital that is disregarded when calculating your benefit. For example:  Disability Living Allowance and savings below £6,000.

You should not be treated as having resources if these are only available on credit or you would have to sell any of your possessions.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.