What is a Budgeting Loan/Advance?
A Budgeting Loan is extra money on top of your benefits to help pay for certain essentials. You have to pay back a Budgeting Loan.
A Budgeting Advance is an extra amount of Universal Credit to help you pay for certain expenses. You have to pay back a Budgeting Advance.
A Budgeting Loan or Advance can help you to pay for:
- Furniture and household equipment, clothing and footwear
- Rent in advance and/or removal expenses to new accommodation
- The costs of improvement, maintenance and security of your home
- Essential travelling expenses and expenses due to you getting or starting a job
- Maternity or funeral expenses
- Hire purchase payments and other debts, but only if the money was borrowed for expenses in any of the other categories.
Before you apply for a Budgeting Loan or Advance, check whether you can get these payments which you do not have to pay back:
Applies to: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Age rules: No specific age rules
Administered by: Department for Work and Pensions