You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Child Benefit - How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

Child Benefit is money paid to parents or other people who are responsible for bringing up a child.

How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your Child Benefit claim, you can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to look at the decision again - this is called a 'mandatory reconsideration'. If you still think the decision is wrong, you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly. Further information on Challenges and complaints

If you have problems with Child Benefit, you can contact the Child Benefit Helpline on: 0300 200 3100 by telephone or 0300 200 3103 by textphone.

Reviewed: February 2020

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser