Child Benefit - How do I claim Child Benefit?

Child Benefit is money paid to parents or other people who are responsible for bringing up a child.

Last reviewed 24 July 2023

How do I claim Child Benefit?

You should claim Child Benefit as soon as you have registered the birth of your child or if a child comes to live with you.

You can apply Child Benefit online or download a claim form or phone the Child Benefit Office for a claim form:

Telephone: 0300 200 3100
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Welsh Language: 0300 200 1900

What documents will I need to claim Child Benefit?

You must give evidence of your child, for example, a birth or adoption certificate. You should also give your . If you do not have a , send in the claim form anyway to save delays. You may also be asked for proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

When will my Child Benefit claim begin?

Child Benefit can be backdated for up to three months if you would have been entitled to it earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late. Request this when claiming.

Change of circumstances

You must report changes in your circumstances which might affect your entitlement to this benefit.

When your child turns 16, you should tell HMRC if your child stays in or leaves approved education. You can report online.


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Support for your child

If you are bringing up a child, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you.

Financial help for raising children