Child Benefit - How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

Child Benefit is money paid to parents or other people who are responsible for bringing up a child.

Last reviewed 28 March 2024

How do I challenge a Child Benefit decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your Child Benefit claim, you can ask to look at the decision again - this is called a . If you still think the decision is wrong, you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly. Further information on Challenges and complaints

If you have problems with Child Benefit, you can contact the Child Benefit Helpline on: 0300 200 3100 by telephone or 18001 0300 200 3100 to use Relay UK.

Reviewed: May 2022


Printable version of this guide

Was this page helpful?

Tell us the problem


Thank you

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to tell us more, please visit our contact us page.

Support for your child

If you are bringing up a child, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you.

Financial help for raising children