You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hospital and benefits - Non-means tested benefits

When you or someone in your family go into or come out of hospital, the benefits you get may change.

Non-means tested benefits

If you get the following benefits, the amount you get for yourself will not change if you go into hospital. You will carry on getting the benefit. However, if you get any extra money in the benefit for another person, for example for a child or your partner, this will usually stop after you have been in hospital for 52 weeks:

If you get contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), it will be paid in full while you are in hospital. It will be paid indefinitely but after you have been in hospital for 52 weeks you will no longer be paid the support or work-related activity component.

If you get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), it will stop when you are sick and not able to look for work for more than two weeks. You should get advice to see if you can get another benefit instead.

Reviewed: October 2021

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser