You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hospital and benefits - Statutory Sick Pay and Working Tax Credit

When you or someone in your family go into or come out of hospital, the benefits you get may change.

Statutory Sick Pay and Working Tax Credit

If you were working when you became ill, you might be getting Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

SSP will be paid for the first 28 weeks that you are not able to work. If you were self-employed, you might be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). You may also continue to get Working Tax Credit in addition to SSP or ESA for the first 28 weeks if your income and savings are low.  It is no longer possible to make new claims for Working Tax Credit.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser