You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hospital and benefits - Your partner's or carer's benefits when you go into hospital

When you or someone in your family go into or come out of hospital, the benefits you get may change.

Your partner's or carer's benefits when you go into hospital

Your partner should tell whoever pays them benefits that you have gone into hospital. The amount of benefit they get may change if you are likely to be in hospital for a long time or if they are your carer.

Your carer will stop getting Carer’s Allowance once you have been in hospital for 28 days. You must also tell the people paying your benefits if your partner starts work, claims another benefit or has any other change in circumstances that could affect the amount of benefit you or they get.    

If you are going to be in hospital for more than six months, your partner might have to claim benefits for themselves. Most new claims for benefits are claims for Universal Credit.

Get advice if this applies to you. You can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser.




Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser