You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Hardship Payments - Jobseeker’s Allowance - Hardship Payments

Hardship Payments are reduced-rate payments of Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC) that are made in limited circumstances, including if you have been sanctioned.

Jobseeker’s Allowance - Hardship Payments

Only people who usually get income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance(i-JSA) can get a Hardship Payment.

You may be able to get Hardship Payments of i-JSA if your JSA is being paid at a reduced (or nil) rate.

You can qualify for hardship payments of i-JSA in a number of situations:

  • If you are in a vulnerable group and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has decided that you (or your partner) do not satisfy the job-seeking conditions.​ You may be in a vulnerable group if you:
    • are pregnant or responsible for a child
    • qualify for a disability premium
    • have a chronic medical condition
    • care for someone (claiming a qualifying disability benefit)
    • are under 21 and have been in local authority care in the last three years.
  • When your JSA is suspended because there is doubt about whether you (or your partner) are meeting job-seeking conditions.
  • When your JSA is reduced because of a sanction.


Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

European Union (EU) Settled Status Form

European Union (EU) Settled Status

Waiting to hear? Missed the deadline? Read our guide to find out what you need to do next.

Find out about European Union (EU) Settled Status

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser